- Says massive endorsement for SLPP at General Election show people impressed with governance of last 9 months
- Out-of-the-box thinking to revitalise economy with more people-centric approach to development
- Removal of 19A to be followed with drafting of new constitution
- Changes to electoral system on cards while retaining salutary aspects of proportional representation
- Vows to enforce law against those involved in fraud and corrupt actions irrespective of status of perpetrators
- Advises Ministers, State Ministers, MPs not to lose touch with their electors
- Extends hand of friendship to all to join him in building prosperous nation
By Chandani Kirinde
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa yesterday spelled out the priorities for the Government in his address to the inaugural session of the new Parliament, which include out-of-the-box thinking policies to revitalise the economy, a new Constitution based on the concept of one country, one law for all people and a crackdown on fraud and corruption.
The President, who presided over the ceremonial sitting of the House held last afternoon, also said that the massive mandate given to the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) was an endorsement of the direction in which he had steered the country in the past nine months.