THE TAMIL EELAM LIBERATION ORGANISATION (T.E.L.O)
HELD AT BATTICALOA, SRI LANKA
ON THE 29TH AND 30TH OF SEPTEMBER 2018
- This convention demands that in the event of the Government of Sri Lanka failing to put forward a political solution to the National question of Sri Lanka that could satisfy the political aspirations of the Tamil people before the 31st of December this year, the support extended by the Tamil National Alliance (T.N.A) to the Government should be terminated.
- While declaring once again that the continuing occupation of the Northern and Eastern Provinces by Government Troops numbering over one hundred thousand, even after the completion of nine years since the conclusion of the war and without any justifiable reasons is unacceptable, this convention demands that the de-induction of the troops should be implemented within a definite and reasonable time frame and their strength restricted to the level that prevailed in 1981.
- In view of the fact that the Sri Lankan Army continues to stay in the North-East region in overwhelming strength and the costs of maintaining a huge army impact heavily on the National economy, affecting adversely, not only Tamils and Muslims, but also the Sinhalese, this convention demands that the Tamil National Alliance should not support the forth coming Budget of the Government of Sri Lanka.
- While charging that the continuing detention of 107 Tamil political prisoners for the last several years is in gross violation of the concept of Justice, and pointing out the fact that the last Government of Mahinda Rajapakse had released more than 12,000 Tamil prisoners following their rehabilitation, this convention condemns the inhuman manner in which the Government headed by President Maitiripala Srisena has been handling this issue, trotting out various excuses and demands the release of all political prisoners before the 31st of December this year.
- Emphasizing that the political goal of freedom of our people could only be achieved by the united and unified political strength of Tamil Nationalism, with all Tamil political parties that remain outside of the Tamil National Alliance, joining the Alliance and functioning unitedly, and conscious of the compelling need to launch a firm and final campaign to achieve a political solution to the National question of the Island of Sri Lanka, within the frame work of its politico-administrative unity, this convention calls upon all political parties and social organizations committed to the Tamil National Cause to rally together in order to commence that political struggle.
- This convention resolves further that in the event of finding that achieving a political solution to the National question within a reasonable and realistic time frame is impossible, all Tamil National forces should come forward to place our problem before the International community and endeavour to ensure that a referendum would be held among the Tamil speaking people of the Northern and Eastern provinces and the Tamils of Sri Lankan origin who reside abroad having migrated in consequence of the systematic violence unleashed on them in their homeland, on the basis that the Tamils constitute a distinct and separate Nation entitled to the right of self determination as its birth right.
- While firmly stating that there shall be no compromise on the part of the Tamil Nation on the issue of war crimes, this National convention emphasizes that the United Nations Human Rights Council should demand that the State of Sri Lanka should fulfill its obligation as pledged before the Council, without any delay and ensure its enforcement.
Further, that in the event of the State of Sri Lanka failing to acknowledge and accept its obligations and act accordingly to implement the resolution of the United Nations Human Rights Council, before the end of March 2019, this convention strongly urges that the United Nations should hold the trials in the war crimes committed in Sri Lanka.
Secretary – General
Tamil Eelam Liberation Organisation (T.E.L.O)